It’s been almost a week since I posted, I guess I’ve been busy.
We went to the ocean Sunday, I ate all kinds of deliciously fatty foods and saw my toes for the first time since fall — not a pretty sight — and took some pictures that I haven’t so much as looked at yet. I’ll try to get some of those up later. Here is one from the now-gone last film photobooth at the boardwalk.
In the meantime, via here are some tips that I found especially useful. Please pass them on.
Sexual Assault Prevention Tips
By Colleen Jameson
1. Don’t put drugs in people’s drinks in order to control their behavior.
2. When you see someone walking by themselves, leave them alone!
3. If you pull over to help someone with car problems, remember not to assault them!
4. NEVER open an unlocked door or window uninvited.
5. If you are in an elevator and someone else gets in, DON’T ASSAULT THEM!
6. Remember, people go to the laundry to do their laundry, do not attempt to molest someone who is alone in a laundry room.
7. USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM! If you are not able to stop yourself from assaulting people, ask a friend to stay with you while you are in public.
8. Always be honest with people! Don’t pretend to be a caring friend in order to gain the trust of someone you want to assault. Consider telling them you plan to assault them. If you don’t communicate your intentions, the other person may take that as a sign that you do not plan to rape them.
9. Don’t forget: you can’t have sex with someone unless they are awake!
10. Carry a whistle! If you are worried you might assault someone “on accident” you can hand it to the person you are with, so they can blow it if you do.
And, ALWAYS REMEMBER: if you didn’t ask permission and then respect the answer the first time, you are committing a crime – no matter how “into it” others appear to be.
from Urban Outfitters:
i mean, really.
girlfriend’s chones are showing and she’s wearing rainboots.
i do not find this at all inspiring.
1. I finally listed some stuff on Etsy. I still have dozens of other things to put up but three is a start. [If you are so moved, don't pay full price! -- contact me directly, you get a discount because you are awesome.]
2. I bought pink tulips at the farmer’s market today. I will show you them when they open.
3. We have gone to PE twice this week. I was very tired today.
4. At craft night last week, I met a couple of the Bette’s Bodacious Beading Beauties and was invited to bead craft night on Wednesday.
5. Thursday night they’re showing The Godfather at the theater. I’ve never seen it. Next week is part II.
6. Painting is going okay. I am on sample board #3 [five "organic" sections -- striped, patterned, geometric shapes, blend, texture] and my lines are much better since the instructor showed me how to hold the brush. I am not sure why this isn’t part of general instruction but whatever.
7. My darks are taking for.e.ver. to dry. I don’t know why I bother, everything is covered with cat hair anyway since they’re in full winter coat mode.
8. I did not take more lightbox pictures yet but I did score a black velvet shawl at the flea market for $2 and bought some 100W daylight bulbs today.
9. I don’t know what else. I am plugging along.
The sky just went black and the thunder’s shaking the house non-stop. Glad I didn’t stick around at the café because that would’ve been one wretched walk home.
eta: just as I was posting this, the sky opened up and we’re being slammed by all kinds of hail and a deluge. We were standing in the doorway watching and shrieking and saw a bolt of lightning hit the middle of the street 50 feet from us. Scary stuff for us temperately-climated Bay Areams.
Port-au-Prince in Haiti was hit with a 7.0 earthquake today. They don’t know how many are dead or injured yet, many emergency services have been destroyed [a hospital collapsed, among other things]. The Red Cross has set up a donation page here if you’d like to help.
This is the National Palace, before and after:
From the Weekly Review:
The annual New Zealand “rabbit throw” contest, in which children compete to see how far they can toss dead rabbits, was banned. Parents and teachers in the Guangdong province of China were upset by a new sculpture in a city park of an eight-inch girl with giant 16-foot breasts. “The little girls were scared and cried loudly,” said one kindergarten teacher, “asking me if they would grow those huge things.” Scientists at the Guangdong Entomological Institute discovered that the female short-nosed fruit-bat routinely provides her partner with oral sex during intercourse, making the bat the only adult animal besides humans to engage in such behavior. “We were also surprised at how often it occurred… It was difficult to provide some hypotheses for the function of the fellatio behavior,” said short-nosed-fruit-bat researcher Libiao Zhang. “We held many meetings to discuss the functions.”